Thursday, March 28, 2013

Jacob


I've had a lot of people ask me about how Jacob is doing, so I thought I would give a little update on here. Jacob has been super busy which helps the time go by fast for him, but not for us. We really don't get much contact with him at all. I've had a few phone calls here and there, but when he had been able to call, it's after the kids are in bed, so poor Rachel hasn't got to talk to her daddy for a long time. Mostly we send emails, and occasionally we get to chat but because of the time difference we don't get to chat very often either. As far as I know, he's been doing fine. He misses us of course and has had a hard time sleeping when he has the chance so he's been pretty tired and is always trying to catch up on sleep.

There was one crazy and kinda funny thing that happened to him a little bit ago, and with his permission I'm going to share part of one of his emails he sent to me:

Okay, so something kinda crazy happened to me today.  Do you remember that one day when I was on casuals at Goodfellow and they were watching a gory horror movie and I got light-headed and had to go sit in the corner for a while where I couldn't see it, well today the place where we wait for assignments was super full, so the only spot to sit was in the TV room, so I went in there to wait to see if we would get a flight, and I was playing that civilizations game on my iPad while some people were watching some comedian talk show thing.  The spot I was sitting is one of the very few spots in the building with a nearby outlet, so it was perfect for playing a game. Anyway, then my whole crew came in to that room to watch some episodes of a TV Show called "The Walking Dead" which is about zombies.  I wasn't really watching it, but I caught parts of it while I was playing my game, but then I did start watching a little, and it was kinda violent and gory, but mostly just with the way they killed the zombies, which didn't really bother me much.  The very last scene I saw though, it showed the zombies eating a lady and digging into her guts while she was still alive, she had let them swarm her so that her two kids could get away since she had already been bitten. Anyway, it was super gross and I started getting light-headed again, enough that I didn't dare get up to go somewhere I couldn't see or hear the show, but it was kinda between episodes anyway.  My vision narrowed and was getting dark, so I put my face in my hands, and tried taking deep breaths, but I felt my consciousness slipping farther, so I started to try and shake my self awake, but I was feeling kind of weak and shaky anyway, so the movement was kind of unsteady and jerky.  I asked them to turn off the show, and by they time they turned around after turning it off, I had passed out on the couch.  I didn't get hurt, but it was crazy, because the next thing I was aware of it was like maybe 5 seconds later and I was laying on the couch with my head and feet on the armrests to elevate them.  I felt a bit light-headed still for a minute or so, but I felt fine pretty quick afterward, but that was too late to stop one of my crew mates from calling medical and telling them that I had a seizure (they had thought that because of when I had tried to shake myself awake, but it wasn't a seizure, so don't worry).  So anyway, a big deal got made out of nothing, I knew what had caused me to pass out, but since they had already called medical they sent a pair of EMTs to come check me out, I had to get on their gurney and get carted over to the hospital in an ambulance, they started an IV (didn't give me anything, but did draw some blood to test stuff).  It took them a billion tries to find my vein, I hate IVs and getting blood drawn, it never goes well for me.  Anyway, they determined that I had just passed out from the gory show, just like I tried to tell everyone, but by the time I got back to the building (maybe two hours or less later) the rumor had already been around the mill and people were saying that I had had a seizure, or a stroke, or was dehydrated, or ten-million other things, but I AM FINE!  I wanted to make sure that you got the strait story, just in case news travels back trough the grape vine.  There is nothing to worry about, the worst that happened was getting poked thousands of times with a needle in my arm!  If I had known that was going to happen I would have just stood in the hallway or something rather than take that seat, such a hassle over absolutely nothing.

Later I got this email: 

 Did I tell you that both times I got light-headed from the horror movies it was with a particularly graphic scene of someone getting eaten by zombies?  It was sort of like being hemophobic, but instead I guess it was more being ambulothanatophagophobic (the fear of being eaten by zombies--ambulo=walking, thanato=dead, phago=eating)  I'm not sure if that is an official phobia, I sort of pieced it together from other phobias.  Phagophobia is actually not only the fear of being eaten, but also can be the fear of eating, so ambulothanatophagophobia could also mean the fear of *eating* zombies instead of the fear of *being eaten* by zombies, but I guess context should narrow that down.

My husband makes me laugh for sure. I felt bad that he got poked and that there was such a fiasco over it. He is fine though. We just won't be watching many zombie movies in our future (not that we watch them anyway.) :p I miss this funny man of mine and I will be so glad when he is home!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh dear! Billy had heard about that zombie show and started to watch it but decided he didn't want to continue because it was so bad. That is a crazy story! Glad to know he is okay and I loved reading about him coming up with a name for the phobia! That is soooo Jacob! LOVE IT!