Friday, June 4, 2021

I am able to make you holy

I remember a time, about 6 years ago, when I felt I wasn't good enough. I had made too many mistakes. Not even huge mistakes, but too many all the same. I still believed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, but I almost felt like it wouldn't work for me. It was too late. I still wanted to do all I could so that it wouldn't be too late for my kids. I wanted them to be able to make it home to our Heavenly Father, even if I couldn't. It was like I believed in the atonement of Jesus Christ, but not that it could work for me. 


I remember attending a women's session of general conference and having my perspective changed. I don't remember all that was said there or who spoke or what the intended message of the talk was, but I do remember how I felt. The Spirit testified to me in that meeting that God cared for me personally and it wasn't too late for me. If I turned to Him, He would welcome me with open arms, and not only would He do that, but he wanted it with His whole heart. I was able to feel connected to Him in a personal way. I felt known and loved by Him.

The more I study about Jesus and His mortal ministry, the more I am astounded by those he chose to be his followers. The sinners. The outcasts. In short, the ones who were like us. The everyday people who are doing their best, but their best isn't good enough because without Him, without His sacrifice, returning back to Father is impossible. I love to watch their lives and see what they become once He enters their story. 

He told them the same thing he told me all those years ago and he offers that same invitation to you no matter your circumstances or your backgrounds or your previous sins. 

"I am able to make you holy, and your sins are forgiven you." 
Doctrine and Covenants 60:7

No comments: