Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Long Night
So Rachel came down with what I thought was croup last week. In fact she has been sick since the very day Jacob came home from Morocco. (Boo). We have been stuck at home waiting and waiting and waiting for her to get better. She is mostly better, but we are still waiting for her cough to go away. Her cough still sounds yucky but she mostly only has it during the night and when she has been playing to hard or is tired. At the beginning of it she had some really goopy eyes. They didn't last very long, but it was enough to notice. She even commented on all of the "eye crumbs" she had. Well, Monday, Kent woke up with goopy pink eyes. They are way goopier and pink than Rachel's were and he has been pretty miserable with them. I have wondered if he just had pink eye, but he also has a cough and runny nose. Just as she is getting better, he is once again getting sick. If they are both going to get it I wish they would get it at the same time because we have already been stuck in the house missing swim lessons and gymnastic lessons for a week and a half, and Rachel and Jacob have missed church twice. We are all totally tired of being home bound. Yesterday, Kent's eyes were particularly bad, especially in the afternoon and evening, needing the goop washed out every few minutes. (Who knew little eyes could make so much goop!) He kept waking up during the night and coughing and coughing and coughing. Then at about 11:30 last night I guess he just felt so awful and couldn't take it anymore. He asked me if he could sleep in my bed to which I replied, "No." Our kids don't sleep with us. (At least not with Jacob home.) His response was a pitiful, "Why mommy?" Just about broke my heart. I wanted to say, "Of course you can come snuggle with mommy! I can tell you aren't feeling good, let me just scoot over." I tried to help him back into his bed but as soon as he got in bed and I got back to bed he would climb back out and ask to get in my bed again. When I would say no and he would say why and I would answer, he always asked me to carry him back to bed and sing him a little song (Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater). He did this maybe three times before I told him I wouldn't help him anymore. Anyway to make an extremely long night into a slightly shorter story, after Jacob got up with him, I took another turn. He just couldn't get comfortable. I asked him where he hurt and he told me, "My mouth hurts." I asked him if it hurt in his throat and got a blank stare. Then I asked him if it hurt in the place he swallows and he said "Yes! I swallow crackers. Goldfish crackers. Mouf hurts!" He was telling me his mouth hurt where he swallows goldfish crackers. Poor kid. I couldn't help but laugh. He also kept telling me that his ears hurt and that his head hurt and that the light coming from the window was getting him and he kept crying and crying, even when I got him down and tried snuggling him. I gave him some Tylenol and put some oils on him and ended up sleeping on the couch with him for 4 hours or so, so that Jacob could get some sleep. Thankfully he settled down pretty quickly after that, until we went back upstairs at 4 because we were all awake and tried to get him to settle down in his bed again. It took almost an hour to get him convinced that he needed to sleep, and then both the kids were in waking me up at 6:45 just after Jacob went to work. I feel like I need a nap already this morning. And I didn't really mean to write about all of that. I really only meant to write about Kent saying that his mouth hurt where he swallows goldfish crackers because I thought that was funny, but apparently my tired brain needed to unload. Oops! Sorry about the longish post from a tired, pregnant mommy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment