Friday, February 15, 2013

Book Review "Courting Cate"

My latest book review was the book Courting Cate by Leslie Gould. This book was unlike any I've ever read. It was set in modern times in an Amish community. It was the retelling of The Taming of the Shrew and I loved it. I always loved the movie Kiss Me, Kate and I loved reading the Taming of the Shrew so to put the tale into modern times was a fun spin. 


Also, I've never read anything much about the Amish. Living in West, I've never had much exposure to them, so I thought it was really interesting to learn about their lifestyle. 

The story in a nutshell is about two daughters. Their mother died when the second daughter was born and the older of the two, Cate, ends up raising the baby mostly on her own. She had to grow up too fast. Also a key factor in her acting "shrewish" is she had her heart broken by a someone she thought she could trust. Her father wants to see her married and so places the edict that her younger sister can't court and marry unless Cate was courting and getting married. Both sisters see it as highly unfair, but then a man comes into town that just might be the one Cate has been waiting for. Then in an unforeseen fold of events she finds out some information and feels as if her heart is broken again. 

I really enjoyed this book and wouldn't mind reading more like it in the future.

I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers but the review was my own. If you are interested in receiving books to review follow this link.  www.bethanyhouse.com/bookreviewers

No comments: