After Kent got his autism diagnosis, I did all sorts of research. One thing I kept coming across was that many autistic kids also have problems with their guts and how there is a brain gut connection. I read that many autistic people have a hard time digesting gluten and dairy and that can also have an affect on their behaviors. I had already mostly cut those things along with sugar out of my own diet because of health issues I have and I KNOW that sugar really affects Kent's behaviors. So we made the decision to cut those things out of all of our diets for a while to see if anything changed.
We started making the change when we were still in our house but officially made the change when we moved into the trailer last October.
Anyway, long story just to say that it's been a really long time since we have had ice cream. It's really hard to find ice cream that is both sugar free and dairy free.
So this 4th of July, we decided to celebrate by making red white and blue ice cream. We've had ice cream makers in the past, and actually have one with our stuff in storage, but seeing as that is a good 6 hours from us, we decided to make it in bags.
I wasn't sure it was going to work at first. I was afraid we didn't have enough ice, but it was so easy and so fun!
Our "recipe" for red white and blue ice cream
2 containers So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk yogurt
1 sugar free vanilla pudding mix
18 oz blueberries
1 pound strawberries chopped
Mix the yogurt and pudding mix together and then add the berries. Ladle the mixture into quart size freezer bags and seal well.
Add 1/4 cup of rock salt and 3 cups of ice and the quart bag into a gallon size freezer bag and seal it shut. Then just mix it all up for 5-10 minutes until your ice cream is frozen. Then open and enjoy!
Affiliate links in this post.


No comments:
Post a Comment