Thursday, August 18, 2011

Grass

My Rachel girl is so funny! This morning Rachel was eating breakfast and all of a sudden started to cry. She wouldn't calm down until I got her out of the high chair and snuggled her on my lap. Then after she was done snuggling she climbed down off my lap and grabbed my hands like she wanted me to walk with her. I got up and decided to see where she wanted to go. She walked to the front door and when we got in front of it she let go of me with one hand and reached up for the door. She wanted to go outside! I know she likes to be outside, but she has never really let me know that she wanted to go out there. She didn't care that we were both still in jammies (far later than we should have been), or that there were things to do inside, so I decided not to care either. I took my sweet outdoorsy baby and went outside into the beautiful Texan morning waiting for us.
We sat on the porch for a little while but it wasn't too long before Rachel let me know she wanted to do more than just sit. We walked over to the grass (which was really more mowed weeds than grass) and she was in heaven! Yesterday when I let her sit on the grass, she was obsessed with putting it in her mouth. Today she just wanted to play with it. She kept running her fingers through the grass to see what would come up in her hands. She would pick it up and look at it real close and then grin and show it to me. What really cracked me up though was when she would go after a certain blade of grass and she would grab and grab and grab at it until it came up in her chubby little hands. She didn't mind all of the weeds in the grass or the fact that the grass wasn't soft or comfortable at all. She didn't mind the ants crawling through the grass and trying to crawl on us. Pretty soon she started crawling all over the grass. She would get pretty far away from me too which I thought was fun because she thought it was exciting enough to leave mommy for.
I haven't taken her outside as much lately because it has been too hot, but I see that I need to take her outside more. It really isn't too bad in the mornings and in the afternoons when it is hot we just need to go swimming or play in the water or eat popsicles or something. I love it that Rachel likes to be outside and I love that she is starting to communicate what she wants more. I thought it was so fun that she showed me exactly what she wanted! I just love being a mother to this sweet funny baby!

1 comment:

Recovery Guru said...

What a smart girl you have there!! She is so cute! I can't wait to snuggle with her again!