Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Scooting?

My Rachel-girl can scoot! She started scooting last week and is now a pro! She is a lot less fussy because she can just go after what ever it is that she wants. She used to fuss at me when I left the room, but now she just follows me. She is still learning and so she doesn't get very far very fast. . . yet. So usually if she is coming to find me, I get back to the room she was in before she has actually left it, but I think it is really cute to see her trying to come find me. What can I say, she loves me. :)

So, a good friend of mine recommended a book to me because she knew we were having nap time and sleep time problems. It is called The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems by Tracy Hogg. It talks about getting your baby on a routine and it talks about how to teach your baby to go to sleep on her own without just letting her cry it out. I started implementing some of the things from the book yesterday and so far it has worked great. Usually I have to nurse Rachel to get her to sleep. That isn't actually too bad. The bad part is that Rachel also wants to nurse the entire time she is asleep. Occasionally I can sneak away from her, but she never sleeps for very long after I leave her. The method in the book is to stay by her crib at first and if she cries pick her up, and as soon as she stops crying to immediately lay her back down. Eventually she will get the the point where she won't need to be picked up anymore.
Yesterday, Rachel slept in her crib for both of her naps (which never happens) and then went down to bed for the night in her crib as well. Both of her naps were about 1 1/2 hours long and I didn't even have to nurse her to get her to sleep! I am so excited about this. We aren't to the point where I can just put her in her bed and she goes to sleep without crying yet, but I am quite excited at how things are going after just one day of this. We did have a little set back last night though. I laid Rachel down in her crib and the little stinker figured out how to sit herself up. Don't get me wrong, it is fun to see her figure out new things, but every time I laid her down she would just sit up and then she wanted to play. According to the book you are supposed to keep laying them down when they do this so they know it is time for bed. So I kept laying her down and she kept sitting up. Eventually I decided I needed to think about things, so I sat on my bed for a minute and when I looked back at Rachel she was standing up in her crib! She pulled herself up to standing all by herself which she hasn't ever done before. I hurried over and laid her back down, but she pulled herself to standing maybe 5 or 6 times before she gave in and fell asleep. I can't believe it.

My 6 month old in the last week has figured out how to scoot, sit herself up, and now pull herself to a standing position. All in one week! What is she going to be doing next week? Crawling? Walking? Running? I don't really think she will be doing those things next week, but it is just so crazy how much she has figured out all ready. She is so fun! I'm so glad I get to stay home with her and watch her figure out every little thing. I'm excited to see what she learns next!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Where is the video?

Mary Ann said...

I tries to put it on but it wouldn't upload. I'll have to try another one a different day. Sorry sister!