When I was in Southern Utah for Christmas my mom bought this awesome hummus from Costco! Ever since then I've really been wanting some, so yesterday I decided to try my hand at making some and it was a complete success! Our hummus was awesome! It was kind of a spur of the moment decision. I was driving home from visiting Jacob at lunch and I decided to go to one of the produce shops they have around here. I checked my wallet and counted out my change (I know, paying in change is kinda tacky, but it was all I had with me) and I found I had about 4 dollars. I bought a bunch of cilantro, 3 limes, 5 lemons, and some garlic for 3.71! (Can I tell you I just love the produce places around here?) I made two different batches of the hummus. The first was an avocado lime cilantro recipe and the other was a roasted red pepper recipe. After Jacob came home from work, we ate the entire bowl of the avocado one! Thank goodness hummus is a low calorie food! It helped that we were eating it with carrots! After it was gone I made the red pepper kind and it was delicious as well, but we were too full from the first batch to eat much of it. I guess we'll have it tonight instead! I think hummus is going to have to become a main staple around here!
Avocado Lime Cilantro Hummus
Ingredients:
1 ripe avacado
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups chickpeas
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Directions:
In a food processor, combine the avacado, lime juice, olive oil, and cilantro. Pulse until all is combined and creamy.
Add the rinsed and drained chickpeas, salt, pepper and garlic. Pulse until creamy.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Ingredients
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/3 cup tahini (I used about 1 tbs of oil instead)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers (We didn't have any red peppers so I roasted a green bell pepper instead)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- (I added about 1 tsp of crushed red peppers to make it more spicy and I also added about 1 tsp of cumin too)
- In an electric food processor, combine garlic, garbanzo beans, tahini, and lemon juice. Process until the mixture is smooth. Add roasted peppers and basil; process until the peppers are finely chopped. Transfer hummus to small bowl, cover and chill until you are ready to serve.
I hope everyone decides to try this because it is delicious! But if you don't want to make it, then you are invited to come to my house and I'll share some with you!
1 comment:
Totally going to try the avocado one...I can't wait!!!
Post a Comment