Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Garden

I decided this year that I was going to plant a garden. I'm actually quite excited about it. My dad always grew big vegetable gardens for our family every year and one of the best foods in the world is fresh veggies from the garden. Jacob being the awesome husband that he is, didn't even bat an eye when I told him of my latest "project" idea. He helped me build the box and clear the rocks and here is our garden.

We are doing a square foot garden where you plant something different every square foot. If you haven't heard of it, I highly recommend checking out the book and giving it a try. It makes gardening relatively simple and I'm so excited to see how our little garden does.

Here is what we have planted in our garden. Tomatoes, summer squash, zuchinni, peppers, peas, radishes, onions, spinach, lettuce, basil, cilantro, green beans, and some marigolds to keep a few bugs away. I planted everything last Monday (Feb 13th) and by Saturday (Feb 18th)  I had my first little radish pushing up out of the dirt.  I am so excited to have something growing in my little garden! Also there are flowers on my tomato plants! I can hardly wait for fresh garden tomatoes!


Here is a  picture of my little radishes coming up. In this picture we are up to 9 little sprouts! I can't wait til I have little things growing all over my garden!

My cute husband bought me this pretty rose bush for Valentines day. I'm still trying to decide whether to plant in in the pot or in the ground somewhere. He is so sweet! 

This is the first place we have lived that we have been able to plant things in our yard and I am quite excited about it. Its fun to change up our yard and make it ours! 




2 comments:

Avree said...

Gardens are so much fun! My favorite is the tomatoes! After it freezes and I have to buy them from the store they taste kind of gross to me for awhile because the garden fresh ones are so good!

Bill and Emily Grant said...

How fun! We want to plant a garden too! In fact, Amanda told me today that "We need to have ta-ma-dos outside like Grandma Grant!" She LOVES tomatoes and eats them like apples if she can. I am jealous that you can plant already. It is still too cold here. I can't wait to get things underway!