Tuesday, June 17, 2014

We have a gopher

So the weather here in Monterey never changes. It's about 65 degrees all year long. It's nice because we can play outside almost any day of the year. It also means that you can grow a garden anytime of the year. I planted a tiny garden in my tiny back yard a while ago and it was coming in so nicely. I even had  little green pumpkins on my pumpkin plants, but then a gopher came and ate everything. Every day we would go outside and find a whole new plant missing. Well eventually it got everything and weeds started growing in my little garden. And the weeds stayed. I hoped that meant that the gopher was gone, so I gave the garden thing another shot. I planted green beans, peas, radishes, and of course, pumpkins. Once again my garden was growing nicely. We even harvested a whole row of radishes and planted a new row of them before the gopher came. This time we actually saw the gopher come up and eat our plants, but for some reason it left my pumpkin plants. The kids were fascinated by the gopher. They saw it come up and it was super skittish. Well one day, they saw it come up and they started picking leaves off weeds and putting it by it's hole, and they made friends with the gopher that has been eating our garden. (I think that's why it hasn't eaten my pumpkins yet). By the time the kids were done feeding the gopher it was a lot less skittish. I didn't let them get too close of course but it was kinda fun seeing the kids be so excited about this animal. (They need a dog or something). Only my kids would befriend a gopher, and only I'm crazy enough to let them. 



No comments: